Summer is here, with 40-41 degrees we can only hope that this would be the hottest that we will experience this year!
The sun is getting stronger and the weather is getting hotter by the hour, one of our kids' most important companion in such weather, in addition to water & hats, would be sunscreen.
Knowing that our babies have very sensitive skin that's easily affected and sometimes burnt by the sun, especially if it's fair or light, we should look for a sun block that provides the maximum defense against sun rays.
You will find a wide range of sun care products in the market each with different characteristics, do read the label carefully and get what best suits your child's skin. Below we will discuss how you can choose a safe sun block for your kids and we will list a couple of products that might help narrow your search.
How to choose a safe sun block for kids
- Make sure to read the label carefully and look for "sensitive skin" indicator if your kid has a sensitive skin, as products that are bot meant for sensitive skin might cause rash or spotting on your kids skin
- As infants bodies have a greater absorption tendency, try to choose sun screens that are chemical free to avoid absorption. Although it might not be clearly mentioned on the product that it contains any sort of chemicals. try choosing barrier sunscreens that will sit on top of the skin and won't be much absorbed thus reducing the risk of allergic reaction especially in sensitive skin types.
- Look for sunscreens with sun protection factor (SPF) 15 or higher. Sunscreens less than SPF 15 will not provide adequate protection for babies.
- Look for cream sunscreens as applying by hand ensures larger coverage areas.
- Some sunscreens may only block 1 type of ultra violet rays so buying sunscreens labeled as broad spectrum ensures blockage of both UVA and UVB rays, most of the time, especially when containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as the active ingredient.
Remember to apply sunscreen 15 to 20 minutes before taking the baby outdoors and if it's a chemical sunscreen try applying it before a minimum of 20-30 minutes as it takes more time to get active.
Some Sun care products for kids
- AVEENO® Baby CONTINUOUS PROTECTION Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 55 combines ENVIROGUARD™ Technology, which maintains broad spectrum protection over time, with skin-soothing ACTIVE NATURALS® .It's non-greasy & fragrance-free. this formula helps prevent moisture loss and is water resistant for 80 minutes. read more on http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno-+baby+continuous+protection-+lotion+sunscreen+with+broad+spectrum+spf+55.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn
- AVEENO® Baby Natural Protection Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 50 contains MINERALGUARD® Technology and 100% naturally sourced sunscreen ingredients. Being a barrier sunscreen, this product is formulated with Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide protecting against UVA/UVB rays. read more on http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno-+baby+natural+protection+lotion+sunscreen+with+broad+spectrum+spf+50.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn
- AVEENO® Baby Natural Protection Face Stick Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 50 contains MINERALGUARD® Technology with Technology and 100% naturally sourced sunscreen ingredients. Being a barrier sunscreen, this product is formulated with Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide protecting against UVA/UVB rays. This sunscreen is water resistant for 80 minutes. read more on http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno-+baby+natural+protection+face+stick+with+broad+spectrum+spf+50.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn
- Mustela High Protection Sun Lotion. Containing zinc oxide and titanium dioxide & other natural ingredients such as aloe vera forming a soothing but protective SPF 50 barrier lotion. read more on http://www.mustela.com/en/content/Very-High-Protection-Sun-Lotion
- Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Faces Ultra Gentle Sunscreen provides superior sun protection with Purescreen, a physical Sunscreen that creates a screen between baby's skin and the sun to provide instant broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection. Free of chemical sunscreens, fragrances, dyes, and oils, this tear-free formula won't sting or irritate baby's eyes. The soft, lightweight lotion spreads easily and is ideal for baby's delicate, sensitive skin. read more on http://www.neutrogena.com/product/pure+-+free-+baby+faces+ultra+gentle+sunscreen+broad+spectrum+spf+45-.do
have a nice weekend and enjoy the sun safely with your little ones...