There is always a good reason to have cake especially when it's a chocolate cake !
Below is a very simple recipe.
Total Time:1 hour
Preparation time:25 min
Cooking time:35 min
Yield: two 10-inch cakes
- Vegetable oil, Butter or cooking spray
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the two cake pan sides with butter or cooking spray and coat the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Beat the cocoa powder with 1 1/2 cups of boiling water in until smooth & set aside.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl through whisking until the mixture becomes consistent.
- Add the eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream and vanilla and beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth, for about 1 minute then another minute on low speed.
- During mixing add the Cocoa mixture until you get a thin batter. (keep cleaning the sides of the bowl of mixture)
- Divide the batter between the 2 pans and let the batter settle for a minute.
- Bake between 35-45 minutes maximum or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto the trays to cool completely.
- You can have the cakes plain with your afternoon tea or have a scoop of ice-cream on the side or you can try the below frosting recipe :)
- 2 1/4 cups of sifted powder sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- a grain of salt (preferably coarse)
- 3/4 cups (170 grams) cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup (255 grams) bittersweet chocolate melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Mix together in a sieve the sugar, cocoa, and salt.
- Beat cream cheese with butter on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Lower the speed to and gradually add the cocoa mixture and beat until combined.
- Add the sour cream then slowly & steadily pour the chocolate, then again beat until combined and homogenous.
- This frosting can be refrigerated up to 5 days, once you want to use bring to room temperature and beat before using.
For decoration, you can add strawberries or raspberries...